Orthographic Processing Discovered in Pigeons

News related to biology, zoology, conservation & nature, redacted by Jurassic Island's editorial team. Users can comment on news.

Moderator: News Reporters

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kovu
Admin
Admin
PSN ID: KovuTN

Orthographic Processing Discovered in Pigeons

Postby Kovu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:13 pm

V-Raptor
CoAdmin
CoAdmin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Orthographic Processing Discovered in Pigeons

Postby V-Raptor » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:24 pm

This is really neat. Also potentially horrifying in the future, but, you know, still neat. I knew birds could be pretty smart but it's especially interesting to see how city-dwelling species adapt to their environment. Surely there's some sort of selective pressure (light as it may be) to being able to recognize certain structures e.g. what buildings you can find food around ("café"), or am I stretching this a bit?
Kovu
Admin
Admin

Postby Kovu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:33 pm

I think it has more to do with the fact that our language isn't as unique as previously believed.

Other studies have shown that certain birds actually even rearrange sounds to create new meanings, and a recent one on tits uncovered that they speak in phrases:

https://www.terrasco.net/index.php?m=read&y=2015&msg=91
https://www.terrasco.net/index.php?m=read&y=2016&msg=15
V-Raptor
CoAdmin
CoAdmin

Postby V-Raptor » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Hmm, very interesting, I was not aware of that. I wonder if that would correlate with visual pattern recognition.
Kovu
Admin
Admin

Postby Kovu » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:55 pm

Animals, and especially birds, often communicate by visual inputs. Of course that doesn't mean they'd actually have an understanding for our written language, but visual inputs are just as important for their own communication. That combined with their capability to recognize and interpret patterns (which was previously observed in their language) makes it at least plausible...
V-Raptor
CoAdmin
CoAdmin

Postby V-Raptor » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Hm, I guess that does suggest they have the tools, to some extent.

Return to “Biology, Zoology & Conservation News”